Lately I've developed quite the obsession with nail polish, hence the several new blogs that I am now following. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for fun and pretty polish colors, but in the past it's only been about my toenails. If you know me at all, you know that I won't be caught dead with naked toenails (much like I wouldn't be caught dead wearing socks in the stirrups at the OB/GYN), but I've always thought that painting one's fingernails is just a waste of time and effort unless it's a special occasion.
Well, my fingernails recently decided that they are so over being left out. So here we are.
I think this started back sometime around Christmas, and it's getting mildly out of control. I have spent hours perusing websites of nail polish swatches and I've made quite the lengthy list of awesome new colors that I desire to have for myself. I blame this on Christmas because it all started when I was painting my nails my FAVORITE shade of red for the holidays, and realized that the bottle was almost gone, not to mention slightly old and goopy. Thus started the hunt for nail polish thinner, because much to my dismay (and slight hysteria), it's a color that has been discontinued.
Long story short, the thinner made it so I was able to use that color a few more times, but that's about as far as the salvaging went *sniffle, sniffle*. I went searching for a similar shade in hopes that I would find one suitable for Valentine's Day.
The picture on the left was taken mid-December, and the one on the right was taken on Valentines day. I know they're kind of small, just click on it to see the bigger version.
| Christmas: Fiery Diamond (discontinued) V-Day: Red Carpet |
What I really want to try is Ruby Pumps or Foxy (shown below) by China Glaze.
![]() |
| These aren't my fingernails, I got this picture from vampyvarnish.com |
ANYWAY...
Sometime in January I became interested in finding a cute gray. I was mostly looking for a lighter shade, but I've become a huge fan of the darker ones. I think black nail polish is tacky and lame, especially since everyone is wearing it, but I don't mind a dark charcoal gray that comes close. Here are a couple that I really like:
![]() |
| Iron Butterfly and Meet Me At The Met respectively (again, not my nails) |
I would have preferred the color be more matte, but the really good ones that I loved were all by OPI, and were nearly ten ridiculous dollars a bottle, so these will have to do.
I ended up buying a really pretty lighter gray, as well as a darker one that looked a little bit blue. Normally I think blue nail polish is trashy, but it's really been growing on me.
![]() |
| This is called Wet Cement. I was beyond stoked to make those brownies, hence the picture. :) |
![]() |
| This is called Gunmetal. I can't help but love it, I don't care if it looks blue. |
After Valentine's Day and my obsession with red had passed, I was on a mission to find a cute green for March. I didn't want anything really dark because I don't really like green to begin with, and dark green nail polish tends to look turquoise. I also didn't want anything too bright or neon. Junior high anyone?
I was discussing my dilemma with my friend Heather one day, and I noticed that her nails were actually the very color of green that I was hoping to find. She ended up giving me the bottle because she wasn't very impressed by it, and I LOVE it!
![]() |
| Jade by Wet 'n Wild |
I used to wear a color called Eggplant on my toenails throughout junior high and high school, but when I tried to find another bottle, it had been discontinued. A couple of months ago I found an updated version of the color in the Wet 'n Wild Shine line at Walgreens. It's called Eggplant Frost now, and it's nearly identical to my old polish, so I snatched it up and starting wearing it on my fingernails.
![]() |
| Flash Off Flash On |
So yeah. Because my obsession is in full swing (and I don't know how long it might last), you should be on the lookout for photos of my latest finds. I'm sure there will be plenty and I know I will be thrilled about each and every one of them.
P.S. Check out alllaqueredup.com's post about China Glaze's new 2011 spring collection. It's called Anchor's Away. Could you die? Love it!








6 comments:
Lol. You're cute. I'm obsessed with nail polish as well. I'm going through mine right now to get rid of the old stuff so I don't have to feel bad for buying more... :) And I actually just bought a polish exactly that shade of green. I haven't tried it yet because I haven't had time, but I'm totally excited. All of the colors you posted I love, and I think grey is the only one I don't have. So I'll have to work on that. :)
p.s. triple chunk? totally the best
p.p.s i LOVE below deck!! so adorable!!
I am totally with you on the obsession with nail polish. About once a week I change mine and I love to splurge and buy new colors. Normally I didn't like purples, but I found a really cute "Finger Paints" purple that's kinda fun:http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl2/1/16974/17_2009/6d38f19d2ecbcb56_Picture_256.xlarge.jpg&imgrefurl=http://beauty-product-junkies.bellasugar.com/Nail-Polish-swatchesNAIL-ART-pt-3update-3081632&usg=__LhMSl4zyw93ZJmqulwRyLM48khE=&h=242&w=320&sz=27&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=9mTYF6k8vHk6NM:&tbnh=129&tbnw=173&ei=j59_TYv2NoGisQP9qOnvBQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpretty%2Bas%2Ba%2Bportrait%2Bnail%2Bpolish%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1579%26bih%3D715%26tbs%3Disch:1%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=78&oei=j59_TYv2NoGisQP9qOnvBQ&page=1&ndsp=33&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=144&ty=77
and a gray that I've really liked by Sally Hansen: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4345245250_f03b464a9d_o.jpg&imgrefurl=http://lextard.blogspot.com/2010/02/sally-hansen-borghese-wet-n-wild.html&usg=__I84ak_Ke52uMD0d6eR6gJHPmtek=&h=392&w=600&sz=277&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=5zVarqjfNrAi9M:&tbnh=136&tbnw=188&ei=9p9_TcCZK46WsgOCyujjBQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgray%2Bby%2Bgray%2Bsally%2Bhansen%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1579%26bih%3D715%26tbs%3Disch:1%26prmd%3Divnso&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=119&vpy=98&dur=2122&hovh=181&hovw=278&tx=208&ty=123&oei=9p9_TcCZK46WsgOCyujjBQ&page=1&ndsp=36&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0
I LOVE all of the colors you have!!! And I'm glad you found a red close to your old one! ;)
Triple Chunk is DEFINITELY the best, I couldn't wait to make them! Below Deck was my favorite, too! So cute! :D
Whitney, I really like that gray and I actually really liked the yellow from that same post. Haha! I may have to start following another blog. ;) And I always love purple, so of course I liked that one too. lol
Hehe! Your heart would be soft for something like nail polish. I've been telling people for years that your really a softy, and not the hostile, unapproachable, menacing, odious, haughty, aloof, vainglorious, supercilious badass they all believe you to be. Now they'll have to believe me. ;} Love you!
Bahahaha! I know, right? Matt outed me years ago, it must seem like such a joke now. Well, guess what chicken f**kers - joke's on you! lol
I must insist that you take back the badass part, though. Some days I still am that. ;) Love you more! Awesome post, btw.
Never thought I would be saying this, but I love the gray!
Post a Comment