M&A

M&A

Friday, September 17, 2010

WON TONS

It's been awhile since I've made won tons for dinner, so that's what we had tonight. Kind of a lame thing to blog about, I know, but I was excited about them.

I got smart and started using spoons about halfway through. I prefer to use my hands when I cook, because it helps ensure even portion sizes, so I was rolling the hamburger into little balls just like I do with cookie dough. The problem with that was not only that it kept getting under my nails, but I was having to wash my hands before I could touch anything else, and you kind of have to prepare as you go or else the skins dry out and they are more difficult to handle and tear easily. Anyways, it was a huge hassle (and a waste of soap) to keep washing my hands before I could use the tongs or touch anything else, so I had to let go of my need for order and perfection and digress to the spoons.  

I prefer olive oil over almost every other oil (with the exception of coconut oil, but I only use that when I know the flavor will compliment what I'm cooking). Unfortunately, I had to make due with canola oil and it made it harder to tell when the skins were all the way cooked. Not only does olive oil turn the skins a much darker golden brown, but the oil itself maintains a much cleaner color for most of the cooking process. The canola oil got really dark and gross much quicker than usual. That of course was partially due to how much meat leaked out, which was also a little bit more than usual. 

Thanks to my claws nails, I inflicted several puncture wounds upon my food while I was pinching the edges together to seal the meat in. Most of the escaped meat sinks to the bottom of the wok anyways, and it really only has an adverse affect on the color of the oil, not the flavor of the won tons. Still, the cleaner the oil, the better the product and the easier the cleanup, so hole-free food is the goal.




Perfectly cooked and super delicious. Instead of dipping them in soy sauce, I mix soy sauce and finely chopped garlic and onions into the hamburger so that the flavor is cooked right into it, thus saving myself the headache of extra dishes and drippy messes.

3 comments:

Natalie Taylor said...

yummmmmmm!!!!!!!!!

MichelleWar said...

Those look pretty dang tasty! Good job!

Amanda said...

Thanks girls. They were delicious, and just as much so the next day. :)