M&A

M&A

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tropical Green Monster

I have been dying to make green smoothies for years, but I haven't ever owned a blender that could get the job done. Now that I do own one, I decided to take advantage of it and put it to good use on something other than pureeing baby food.

This is the original recipe. I basically used it as a guide and did my own thing.

My version is as follows:

2 cups of coconut water
My handfuls of spinach tend to be generous.
1 T of Chia Seeds
I didn't have any hemp on hand.
1/2 an avocado
The whole point of a green drink is the green foods that are in it. Plus, I had an avocado.
I don't have any creamed coconut. So yeah.
2 handfuls of organic baby spinach
Spinach is on the Dirty Dozen list, so it was important to me that it was organic since it's the main ingredient.
1/2 cup of frozen mango
A good way for me to use what was leftover after I was done making baby food.
1/2 ripe, frozen banana (peeled)
It's been said that using frozen fruit in your smoothies makes them thicker and creamier.
Plus, it allows you to omit the dumb ice cubes.

You have to layer the ingredients in the blender in the order that I have them listed. This will optimize the consistency and keep your blender from having to work too hard. Not that this blender wasn't built to handle these things like a boss, but I don't want to unnecessarily abuse my appliances.

Voilá! The most delicious breakfast!
All you can really taste is the fruit. The avocado added a slightly bitter aftertaste, but it was very mild. Overall, I loved it! I'm excited to try another recipe tomorrow. ☺

4 comments:

Baby Sister said...

Looks nummy. :)

Amanda said...

Sooo nummy! You might like it. You know, once you ran out of Oreo's. ;) heehee!

The Mowers said...

So, I'm a really big dork about food. Green foods tend to scare me. But I really REALLY want to start drinking green smoothies. Is this a good recipe for a "beginner"? LOL Any tips you'd like to offer?

Amanda said...

Haha! You're so cute! I loved it, but Natalie thought it was gross. She said all she could taste was the avocado, so I made one the next morning called Basic Green Smoothie, and it had a ton of fruit in it. Natalie didn't try it so I can't speak for her, but I couldn't even tell it was "green". You might like it. :)

2 cups cold water
1 banana, cut into chunks
1 orange, peeled and separated into segments
1/2 apple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
1/2 lemon, peeled and separated into segments
1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 cups baby spinach

*I used 2 Cuties instead of an orange, and something like 1/8-1/4 cup (I didn't measure)of organic lemon juice instead of a lemon. I omitted the ginger altogether because I don't like it. The next day I made another one the same way, but I added avocado and half of a cucumber. SO YUMMY! The cucumber made it taste so fresh!

P.S. The recipe above makes A TON of smoothie. Like 2+ glasses for breakfast and another 2+ for lunch. The more ingredients, the more smoothie. And you have to keep in mind that you're eventually going to have to add more water if you have an entire fridge full of fruits and vegetables in there. More water also equals more smoothie.

I say just experiment with whatever sounds good to you. The most important ingredient in most of the smoothies I've seen seems to be spinach, so as long as you have that, you can add whatever else sounds yummy and healthy to make it taste better until you feel brave enough to branch out. :)