M&A

M&A

Friday, November 9, 2012

A Tale of Two Boobs

So this post is mostly about nursing, losing baby weight, and how I'm experiencing the both of them as they relate to each other. This isn't necessarily a post that's intended for an audience, although I know there are still people that will read it. This is mostly for journaling purposes, but it's also for future reference as it were. I'm sure I'm not going to remember half of the things that I think I will by the time the next one comes along. That is most definitely NOT an announcement, btw. Just thinking ahead. ☺

8.21.12
The day before my due date
I took this picture while I was getting ready for my final appointment with my OB, which happened to be the day before I went into labor. I weighed 202 pounds when I gave birth, meaning I gained a total of 70 during my pregnancy.

8.30.12
1 week after giving birth
Fortunately, 40 of those pounds came off with zero effort since they were due to water retention and the general increase in fluids that occurs during pregnancy. I was down to 170 at the end of the first week.

9.7.12
2 weeks after giving birth
I don't think I remembered to record what I weighed at the end of 2 weeks, so all I know is that I lost another 10 pounds sometime between her 2 week check-up and my 6 week check-up. 

10.29.12
Just over 8 weeks after giving birth
I managed to squeeze my wedding ring on at my 6 week appointment, but I wasn't able to wear it comfortably until about 8 weeks after the baby was born. I've been stuck at 160 for a few weeks now, which means I have approximately 30 more pounds to go before I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight.

If I want to be at my "normal" weight (factoring in my typical muscle mass and the fact that muscle weighs more than fat), then I only need to lose 20 more. As of right now, I most definitely do not have the muscle tone that I'm used to, so 30 is probably more realistic.
Sad face.

Anyway, the unfortunate truth is that those 30 pounds are just going to have to wait, because I can't resume my regular eating habits or even just my usual workout routine without compromising my milk supply.

I pump several times a day so that my baby can still have breast milk even when I'm unable to nurse.
Pumping also helps ensure that I am producing on a regular basis.
I simply date the side of the bottle with a dry erase marker so that the older milk gets used first.
If it hasn't been used after three days, then it gets frozen so that my supply is constantly rotated.
I usually freeze 4 oz per bag, and even though it isn't all pictured, I have over 180 oz in my freezer so far.
It's very important to me that my baby is as exclusively breastfed as possible. I had to supplement with formula during the first week of Baby K's life because her jaundice was so severe, and it devastated me that my body wasn't making enough milk to flush out her bilirubin buildup. Since then, I have taken every measure possible to make sure that that never becomes a problem again.

Only 24 oz short of a gallon
I have found that the single most important factor in making sure there isn't a decrease in my milk production (aside from making sure I'm eating enough) is my water consumption. There were many days when I was pregnant that I would fill this jug up more than once, and the same is true now that the baby is here. I admit that there are times when I can't stand the thought of taking even one more freaking sip of water, but it takes liquid to make liquid, and H2O is the way to go.

Those are homemade granola bars in the background.
It is rumored that oatmeal helps increase milk supply.
I don't know how helpful it is, but they are delicious either way.
In addition to water, I also drink these teas. They each have slightly different ingredients, and the flavors vary a little bit, so I switch them up depending on my mood. I think Yogi tastes the best, but the other two are probably a little bit more effective. Of the three, Mother's Milk has the strongest flavor.


Motherlove: The very first supplement I started using. I don't use it anymore because the flavor is nasty and you can't drink anything for 15 minutes before or after each dose. Kind of a hassle since I am always drinking water. I did see an increase, though.

Vitamin Code: I started taking these prenatals as soon as I found out I was pregnant, and I will continue to take them as long as I'm breastfeeding. I love them because they don't contain any unnecessary filler ingredients, and they really help close the nutritional gap that occasionally occurs in my diet.

Gaia: I alternate this bottle with the bottle of Mother's Milk. I feel like Gaia goes further because you only take 1 capsule 3 times daily vs 2 capsules 3 times daily with Mother's Milk.

Raw Milk: I get a lot of flack for this, but I promise that switching to raw is one of the best things you can do for your health. I drank it long before I got pregnant, all through my pregnancy, and I continue to drink it now. The nutritional value is phenomenal, it tastes fantastic, and it's an essential building block for both me and my baby. The downside is that it's a little pricey and I have to drive to Orem to buy it, but it's totally worth it and I'm so grateful that it's available. I will never go back to regular milk. Never.

Cod Liver Oil: The brand that I prefer is fairly expensive because it's 100% pure, and I've only ever seen it at the Real Foods store (where the milk comes from). The bottle that's pictured came from Good Earth, and while it isn't ideal (there is soy lethecin on the ingredient list, among other things), it is still beneficial and it will have to do for now.

Mother's Milk: Like I said, I alternate this bottle with the bottle of Gaia. The only things I prefer about Mother's Milk are the price, and the fact that you take it with meals instead of in between. Other than that, I think I like Gaia better.

In an effort to make my products last longer, I have recently started drinking the teas on even days and taking the supplements on odd days. The effects are basically the same.

9 weeks old
So there you have it. I will take being able to breastfeed my baby over losing the weight any day. She is happy and healthy, and my supply has never been better. I could probably join a milk sharing program if I really wanted to. I actually love the idea behind it, and I think it's awesome that a woman can still feed her baby breast milk even when she can't provide it herself. ♥

P.S. I absolutely LOVE this.

2 comments:

MichelleWar said...

Wow, you are on top of things! I'm coming to you for tips when my turn rolls around. LOL! Teach me all the tricks!

Amanda said...

Haha! Mostly I just got desperate. I don't think normal people take such drastic action. I think it would literally be the worst thing in the world if I dried up before I was ready to stop nursing. I'm just a tad neurotic. Lol! I will gladly teach you everything I know, though. :)