I lost my mucus plug around noon right after I finished cleaning the upstairs bathroom, so I knew that the baby could come at any time. I assumed that it would be at least another day or two, but once my plug was gone, my contractions started coming closer together and became much more unpleasant. I texted my mom to let her know what was going on because I wasn't sure if I was in labor or not. Once I had showered and finished getting ready for the day, I decided it might be a good idea to actually time how far apart my contractions were so that I would know for sure whether or not things were progressing.
They were between five and seven minutes apart, so I decided I should maybe head to the hospital in case they got worse and I wasn't able to drive. I let my mom and my husband know that I wanted to go get checked to make sure I really was in labor, so I got into the car at 4 o'clock and sat in the driveway until my contraction was over, and then I drove three minutes (literally three minutes, we live right down the road from the hospital) and had another one just as I was pulling into a parking space.
I got all checked in and they hooked me up to monitor my progress. My mom and my husband showed up at about the same time, but it was kind of a waiting game for the next couple of hours because we all just sat there hoping that I would dilate further than the 2cm I had been at for the past several days.
![]() |
| I had a great view from my window. |
I was effacing quicker than I was dilating, but I was definitely in labor and the nurse didn't really want to send me home, so after laying there for 2 hours she went to check with the Dr. to make sure it was okay that they watch me for another hour before they decided whether or not they were going to keep me.
![]() |
| I don't know how in the world I didn't progress faster with contractions like that! |
About 20 minutes after she got the okay from the Dr. on call, my water broke.
Needless to say, I was staying. :)
![]() |
| The contractions got so much harder once my water broke. :( |
![]() |
| I was able to get my epidural just after 7pm thanks to all of the women that were in labor. The anesthesiologist said she hadn't sat down once during her shift because there were so many of us. |
![]() |
| Waiting... |
![]() |
| I'm so glad I didn't feel that one! |
![]() |
| I went from 4cm to 9cm in just over two hours, and by midnight I was feeling like I needed to push. |
![]() |
| They had the Respiratory Nurses in the room to make sure the baby didn't have meconium in her lungs. (She had a bowel movement sometime during pregnancy.) |
![]() |
| 8lbs 1oz 20 inches long |
![]() |
| Much happier after a night in the nursery |
I have to say that it is the most incredible thing in the world to watch my sweet husband be a daddy. He was so loving and supportive throughout the entire pregnancy, and he was right by my side whenever I needed him during labor, but watching him with our little girl fills my heart with so much love and appreciation for the amazing man that he is, I can't even explain. He is my everything and I can't imagine life without him. ♥
![]() |
| We love our precious little angel. She has brought such a sweet and beautiful spirit into our home, and we have enjoyed every minute. |




























6 comments:
Congrats to you both! She is beautiful!
Beautiful birth! That makes me so happy :)
Amanda that was beautiful! I love all the pictures you have to document you babies wonderful birth!! She is so beautiful and you are going to be one amazing mom!!!
This is so awesome! The pictures of you crying made me cry. Ha ha! I'm so glad she here with you now.
I have to admit this is one of my favorite posts! I am like you, I blog for my own benefit, and don't actually care if anyone checks my blog, or dislikes what I post. But for some crazy reason, I LOVE to hear other girls labor and delivery stories, I was so hoping you would post one! :) The pictures you have are TRUELY AMAZING!! I love them, they brought me to tears! I am guessing your sister did them, she is so talented! Ha ha and I just have to say I have had 3 kids now, and all 3 kids I have called my mom to ask if I am in labor and if I should go in and get checked ha ha, By the time I have agreed to go, I have always been to far along to drive in myself, so good work :). She is such a cute baby! And I love how sweet your hubby is with her! I hope your doing good, I know when the baby blues set in it can be really frustraiting. So hang in there. thanks again for the great post! Oh and I Have to say your epidural picture gave me chills! I have never had one before so seeing it go in your back scares me! Ha ha I have only been hooked up to a contraction monitor once, I was in to much pain to pay much attention to it, but Ben was around for that babies birth and he would watch it with big eyes, and be like wow hun that line went off the monitor, did it hurt? Ha ha and I am laying there in more pain then I thought was humanly possible to live through, uh yes sweety I felt that one. . .! lol I love men! Love your family! Wish I was closer to come see you!
Thank you so much, all of you. You are very sweet and I love that so many of you actually read this. :) We just adore Baby K and we're so glad she's here. ♥
Cjirsten, I wish you lived closer, too!! You're so funny, but truth be told, I really like hearing labor and delivery stories too, so I knew someone else out there wanted to know all the gory details. Lol! Yes, my sister took all my pictures. She does such a great job and she was a HUGE blessing to me both while we were in the hospital and after we came home. She really helped me get through those first couple weeks of baby blues. I can't believe you've never had an epidural! You are so brave, I don't think I would ever seriously consider NOT having one. Perhaps I'm just a giant wuss. :p
Post a Comment