M&A

M&A

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Obsession Part II

This is basically a continuation from the last post about my latest obsession. If you would like to be brought up to speed, click HERE, and then come back so you can follow along.

Basically part one covered my colors from December to March. This post is going to cover the colors I've used since then. Let's do a recap of my St. Patrick's Day nails to start things off. I think the color is so much fun, and the other pictures really didn't do it justice.

Flash on                                                 Flash off
Jade by Wet n Wild

Right after St. Patrick's Day I decided to try out my Gray's Anatomy. I originally bought it with spring in mind because it's extremely duo-chrome. Apparently the base color is supposed to be gray, but I saw so much more purple and green in it. Because it is duo-chrome and my camera can only do so much, I took several pictures from different angles and in different lighting in an attempt to capture the whole look of this polish.

click photos to enlarge

   Flash on                                                  Flash off
     Gray's Anatomy
In a room with natural sunlight, but used a flash for the picture on the left.
Under an overhead light, but used a flash for the picture on the left.
Flash on                                             Flash off

Try as I might, I don't think I can ever portray the full effect of this color with pictures.

Gray's Anatomy lasted less than a week, but it's because I got bored, not because of chipping. Most of my polishes tend to wear off on the tips of my nails pretty quickly, especially if my nails are on the longer side, but it wasn't as noticeable with this color and I really liked that about it.

My boredom led to a white nail polish spree which lasted from the last week in March through the first week in April. You can find white nail polish in just about every brand out there, but being the cheapskate that I am, I bought a Wet n Wild version. The formula was a tad on the thin side, but it was nothing that a few extra coats couldn't cure.

French White Creme by Wet n Wild

As big of a fan as I am of white nails, I think that sometimes it can look like a teenager got bored in class and used Wite Out as nail polish. Tacky. In this instance that is exactly how I felt about how my nails turned out, so I remedied it with a shimmery top coat.

I bought this years ago, and as far as I know it's been discontinued.

Voilá - a slightly more subtle version of white.
*Please ignore my unsightly cuticles. It had been several weeks since I last had time to trim them*

After my white phase came the purple. If you will recall, Eggplant is the color I used to wear on my toenails for years and years. Well, now it's back as Eggplant Frost and I absolutely love it for my fingernails. You all know how I feel about black nail polish, so this has been kind of like my version of the alternative.

Eggplant Frost by Wet n Wild

Almost every picture I took of this color made it look really blue. I'm wearing it in all the pictures I posted in Birthday Celebration, so those of you who saw them know what I'm talking about. These two pictures are the least blue looking out of all the ones I took.

This is a pretty close real life match as well (no flash).

Sometime during week two of sporting this color, I decided to change things up a little and I added a sparkly topcoat. It's called Busted, and I bought it years ago, but it's still available.

Taken with the flash off to show the different dimensions a little better.

The final result with topcoat (taken under an overhead light, no flash).

After the weekend of my birthday I stopped wearing nail polish. I was enrolled in a WSI class, and the chlorine would have just eaten away anything I had on. I changed up my toes several times though, because naked toenails are just gross as far as I'm concerned.

Once the class ended I immediately put one of the colors I had been wearing on my toenails on my fingernails. It's called How I Met Your Magenta and it's from the same Wet n Wild 2011 Spring Collection as Gray's Anatomy. Let me just tell you right now that this color is in no way, shape, or form anywhere near magenta. It is a very bright flamingo pink color, even more so than the pictures make it look.

How I Met Your Magenta by Wet n Wild
I am telling you, this color is practically neon in certain lights, these pictures don't really capture it.

So there you have it. I've had this color on since the beginning of May and I'm still wearing it as I type. It's a fun summer color, and I will probably wear it until I get brave enough to go buy a yellow of some sort. It's hard to find one that doesn't evoke thoughts of urine, but I think I've narrowed down my choices to the following two:

So far this is my favorite. It's called Lemon Fizz by China Glaze and I love how it's more on the pastel side.
(photo courtesy of temptalia.com)

This is my second favorite. It's called Yellow Kitty and it kind of reminds me of lemonade.

Since this post is already obscenely long, I thought I would throw in an extra picture just for good measure. It's kind of a random picture, but it's a recent one and it also shows the very subtle hints of red that I put in my hair last week.

Haha! Don't mind the fact that my hair is a total grease pit and that I had been up for well over 24 hours.
5.17.11

Happy Wednesday!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I love your nail polish obsession! I'm right with ya on naked toes. I think the only times my toes have been naked are when I'm pregnant and my belly is so big I can't paint my toes anymore (and couldn't afford a pedi). That's it.
Keep the pics coming, I love the inspiration for my own nails! xox

Unknown said...

I love these nail polish posts Amanda. And don't worry about your cuticles... girl, you should see mine! Miss you and hope things are going well for you guys.

Baby Sister said...

Cute colors!! And cute you!! I especially love eggplant...I'm going to have to get that one...

BreAnn said...

Bah-even a pic on the fly you're friggin' cute! Try to ugly it up a little more next time to make the rest of us feel better! :) I really wanna find a matte chocolate brown, or a brown that's a little lighter, but they always turn out too dark and I look like I'm wearing black. I got this duo chrome one from Del Sol that changes color in the sunlight, and in the bottle it looks light pinkish, but now that I have it on it just looks gold. Ugh.

Amanda said...

Jessica, I'm so glad someone else feels the same way about naked toenails! ;) I'm glad you like these posts, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that enjoys them. Haha!

I miss you, too, Jenny! I hope you guys are still planning on going to Grandpa's party tomorrow. Matt has to work, but I'm going to be there anyway. I'm glad you feel me on my cuticle issues. :p I finally trimmed them yesterday. Yay!

Miss Baby Sister, I totally thought of you as I was posting all my eggplant pictures. I think you are the only person that can rival my love of purple. :)

Haha! Bre you're a sweetheart. I'm such a hot mess in this picture, but I have no shame, so up it went. I'm glad you think it could be worse. ;) lol I was totally scoping out the browns with you in mind while I was at the store yesterday, but they all have glitter in them! :( I am now officially on the lookout for a matte chocolate color, I will definitely send my finds your way.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥